Michael D. Dwyer, Ph.D
Assistant Professor of Media & Communications
224 Murphy Hall
Glenside, PA 19038
- Associate Professor of Media & Communication, Arcadia University, 2016-present.
- Assistant Professor of Media & Communication, Arcadia University, 2010-2016.
- PD. (awarded with Distinction) – English, Syracuse University, 2010.
- M.A. – Literary & Cultural Studies, Carnegie Mellon University, 2003.
- B.A. (Departmental Honors, cum laude) – English, University of Miami, 2002.
SCHOLARSHIP AND PUBLICATIONS
- Back to the Fifties: Nostalgia, Hollywood Film and Popular Music of the Seventies and Eighties.June 2015, Oxford
Articles in Refereed Journals
- “That Nostalgic Feeling.” Pop Nostalgia? The Uses of the Past in Contemporary Popular Culture. Tobias Becker and Dion Giorgiou, eds. London: Palgrave (forthcoming).
- “Fixing the Fifties in the Reagan Era.” The 1980s: A Transitional Decad Duncan Campbell and Kimberly R. Moffitt, eds. Latham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield / Lexington Books. December 2010.
- “It Was Something: Kathleen Hanna, Sadie Benning, and the Limits of Grrrl-hoo” Singing for Themselves: Essays on Women in Popular Music. Patricia Spence Rudden, ed. Newcastle-upon- Tyne (UK): Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2007.
Selected Open-Access and Popular Publications
- “Prince And ‘the Other Eighties.’” OUPblog, April 25, 2016. http://blog.oup.com/2016/04/prince-and-the-other-eighties/.
- “Book Review: Jim Jarmusch: Music, Words and Noise.” Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television 36, no. 2 (April 2, 2016): 258–60.
- “A pure object, a spectacle, a clown….” CultureBo January 10, 2013. http://www.culturebot.net/2013/01/15549/the-american-realness-of-juggalos/
- “Raphael Saadiq’s Soul Memory.” In Media R August 30, 2012. http://bit.ly/IMRdwyer
- “The Gathering of the Juggalos and the Peculiar Sanctity of Fandom.” Flow. December 17, 201 http://flowtv.org/2010/12/the-gathering-of-the-juggalos/
Work in Progress
- Tinsel and Rust: Postindustrial America and Hollywood Film, a book-length study of representations of the Rust Belt in American filmmaking since the 1970s
- “The Sounds of Nostalgia.” Listening to Nostalgia (class). University of Pennsylvania. March 21, 2019.
- Keynote Roundtable Remarks, Pop Nostalgia Conference, German Historical Institute London. London, UK. November 11, 2016.
- “Memory, Mourning, Michael.” School of Foreign Language Jiangsu U, China. June 17, 2015.
- “Re-Reading American Graffiti.” Philadelphia Cinema and Media Seminar. Temple University Humanities Center. December 8, 2011.
- “Star Legacies: Remembering James Dean and Sandra Dee.” Word and Image Colloquium, Syracuse University English Departme April 17, 2009.
SELECTED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
- “It’s the Neighborhoods: Place Branding, Pittsburgh, and Postindustrial Film Production.” Society of Cinema and Media Studies. March 13-17, 2019. Seattle, WA
- “Steel City, Tinsel Town: Pittsburgh, Hollywood, and the Screening of the Creative Class.” Society of Cinema and Media Studies. March 14-18, 2018. Toronto, ON.
- Roundtable Respondent, “Podcasts and Convergent Digital Media.” Flow Conference. September 15-17, 2016. Austin, TX
- “Something on the Air: Radio Formats and Hollywood Soundtracks.” Society of Cinema and Media Studies. March 30-April 3, 2016. Atlanta, GA
- “Oldies, Nostalgia, and the Opening of the FM Dial.” The International Association for Media and History. May 17-20, 201 Bloomington, IN.
- “Soul in the Rear View: The Blues Brothers.” Society of Cinema & Media Studies, March 25-29, 201 Montreal, QC, Canada.
- “The ‘New Man’ and Fifties Stard’” Film & History Conference. October 30, 2014. Madison, WI.
- “Michael Jackson and the Legacy of ‘Real Showme’” That’s Entertainment!: Valedictory Symposium for Steven Cohan. March 6-7, 2014, Syracuse, NY.
- “The Meaning of the Word ‘Neighbor’ in Rear Window.” Society of Cinema & Media Studie March 6-10, 2013. Chicago, IL.
- “Blue Velvet through my Ears.” Society of Cinema & Media Studie March 21-25, 2012. Boston MA.
- “The Same Old Songs? Inventing Oldies in 1980s Cinema.” Society of Cinema and Media Studies. March 8-12, 2011. New Orleans, LA.
- “Back in Time: Pastiching the Fifties.” Society of Cinema and Media Stud Tokyo, Japan. May 21- 24, 2009. (Conference rescheduled to March 2010, Los Angeles, CA.)
- “Back to the Fifties: Ronald Reagan and Marty McFly.” Popular Culture Association/ American Culture Association. San Francisco, CA. March 18-22, 2008.
- “Fifty Years of Night.” Global ‘68 Symposium. March 29, 2018. Arcadia Univ, Glenside PA.
- “Hairspray and History.” Film 101 Series. July 21, 2016. Ambler Theater, Ambler, PA.
- “American Culture and Cultural Appropriation.” English Language Institute. February 11, 2016. Arcadia University, Glenside PA.
- “On ‘Nice Guy’ Misogyny. For the Women Speak Out! April 2013. Arcadia Univ, Glenside PA
- 2014-2018, Arcadia University, Media & Communication, Undergraduate Program Director
- 2013-2018, Society of Cinema and Media Studies, IT Committee Chair.
- 2013-2014, Arcadia University, Faculty Secretary
- 2013-, Arcadia University, Junior Faculty Advocacy Group, Facilitator
- 2013-, Editorial Board, Arcadia University Honors Publication, The Compass.
- 2012-, Arcadia University, Digital Repository Advisory Grou
- 2012-, Arcadia University, Committee for University Writing Award
- 2011, Arcadia University. Commissioned Report on Best Practices for Student Media
- 2008, Syracuse University. Co-Founder & Coordinator: TA Teaching Archive
- 2005-2007: Syracuse University, Facilitator, English Graduate Organization
HONORS, AWARDS, FELLOWSHIPS
- Summer Stipend, National Endowment for the Humanities. 2018. (8% success rate)
- Provost Award for Outstanding Advising and Mentoring. Arcadia Univ. 2018. (1 awarded)
- Instructional Technology Grant, Mobile Podcasting Studio, Arcadia University. 2015.
- Doctoral Prize in the Humanities, Outstanding Dissertation, Syracuse University. 2011.
- Outstanding TA Award, The Graduate School at Syracuse University. 2010.
- Teaching Mentor, Fulbright FLTA Orientation, Syracuse NY 2009. (competitive, 4 awarded)
- Syracuse University TAOP Teaching Fellow, 2006-2008. (competitive, 25 awarded)
- Syracuse University English Department Summer Fellowship, 2006-2007.
- Raymond Williams Fellowship, Carnegie Mellon University. 2002-2003.